Revolutions for Research is an event for cyclists of all experience levels! Whether you’re an indoor cycling enthusiast or you’ve never tried it before, here are some tips to make the most of your ride and feel great before, during, and after.
- Find a buddy. Any activity is more fun when you do it with others, and if you sign up for Revolutions for Research with some friends, you can help each other train and prepare for your ride.
- Stretch before and after. It’s important to stretch the muscles used during a ride, including hips, calves, quadriceps, and lower back.
- Get some pointers. If you’ve never tried indoor cycling, see if you can take a beginner’s class in your area. If not, contact a cyclist friend or a local bike shop to get some tips on proper cycling technique.
- Hydrate properly. Two hours before engaging in any high-endurance activity, make sure to drink at least 16 ounces of water. Continue to drink water during your ride - about 8-10 ounces for every 15-20 minutes of activity.
- Feed your body. One to two hours before riding, have a small meal comprised of simple carbohydrates, lean protein, and vitamin-rich foods, such as low-fat yogurt with fresh fruit and granola. After your ride, make sure to eat within three to four hours (ideally much sooner) to replenish nutrients and energy.